Here it is: the recipe I developed for the 2021 Italy edition of Foodies Magazine. I think Disaronno Sour cocktails are my favourites: sour, creamy, fresh, like a dessert in a glass. Being able to drink Disaronno wasn’t as simple as buying it (you can read all about that here), but since it’s in the clear I decided to pay a little hommage with these Disaronno Sour Cheesecake Bars.
What you’ll need (for 16 bars)
- 225gr of oat cookies (like these)
- 75gr of butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1.5 tsp corn starch
- 2 lemons
- 100gr sugar
- 100mL Disaronno
- 3 leaves of gelatin
- 175gr sugar
- 125ml whipped cream
Dishes you’ll make
- Baking tin (square 24cm x 24cm)
- Food processor (I use this mini- chopper)
- Saucepan (in which you can whisk!)
- Stand mixer (with K- hook/ flat beater, don’t use a balloon whisk, it add too much air)
- 2 Bowls
How to make ‘m
- Line your tin with baking paper. Put the cookies into the foodprocessor and blitz to a fine crumb. Melt your butter and stir it through. Scoop the buttery crumbs it into the lined tin and press flat with a spoon/ measuring cup or whichever tool you prever. Put it in the fridge to set.
- Get your saucepan and add your eggyolks and cornstarch, give a little whisk until it is smooth. Then add your sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice and whisk some more. Heat on medium high and continue to whisk until it thickens, this can take a little while. Pour it into a bowl and set aside. Give the saucepan a wash.
- Fill the other bowl with cold water and put in the sheets of gelatin. Soak for about five minutes. Put the Disaronno in the saucepan and heat slowly, but don’t let it boil! Take it off the heat and melt through the gelatin leaves one by one.
- Get your stand mixer ready and add your mascarpone and sugar to the bowl. Mix on low speed until combined. Leave the mixer running while pouring in the disaronno- gelatin mix. When that’s incorporated you can add the whipping cream. Mix on medium high for about 30 seconds, the mix will thicken a bit.
- Spoon the Disaronno- mascarpone mix onto your cookie base and spread out. Add little dollops of lemon curd and use a knife backwards (no not upside down) to cut through the lemon curd and cheesecake mix in order to create the swirls.
- Let it set in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight. If you like a softer bar, take them out of the fridge 30minutes before serving.
I have made these Disaronno sour cheesecake bars four times already and I think they are going to be a summer favourite. Have you ever had a Disaronno Sour cocktail?