The marriage of Bananabread and Brownies, I mean YES YES YES. These bananbread brownie bars are so moreish it is dangerous . Last week the idea of this popped into my head and I just had to make them, 1 problem: Baking powder had been sold out everywhere for weeks and I had none left. But no stress, I just grabbed my favourite mixes from the supermarket and used those.
I love baking from scratch, but not always. If I’m making a giant cake or if I don’t feel like creaming the butter or if some ingredients aren’t available I will just appreciate the work of a Food Technologist in developing a mix in a box.
In this case it is quite hard to give you the exact recipe, as both mixes are from Dutch supermarkets and thus might not be available where you live, so I’ll give some specs about the mixes I used:
- Oven: 140 °C for 65- 70 minutes
- Extra additions to the mix: butter, eggs, bananas
- Oven: 160 °C for 40 mins
- Extra additions to the mix: Water and little bit of butter
As you can see the oven temperatures and times are different! If this is the case with your mixes too I recommend going for the average temperature and the longer time. You’ll see I did this in the recipe and it worked great!
You will need
- Banana bread mix + all the additional ingredients as instructed on the box
- Brownie mix + all the additional ingredients as instructed on the box
- 70 gr of dark melting chocolate
How to make bananabread brownie bars
- Preheat the oven to 150 C. Grease and line a square baking tin of 23cm x 23cm. Prepare your brownie mix as instructed on the box and prepare your banana bread mix as instructed on the box.
- Add some dollops of brownie batter to the tin. Add all the banana bread batter, the brownie dollops should be covered. Dollop the rest of your brownie batter on top of the banana bread batter. Using a knife, swirl the brownie batter and the banana bread batter. Don’t go overboard, then your swirls will disappear.
- Bake the bananabread brownie bars for about 60 minutes. Make sure to test it with the skewer method. It should come out clean! Let the bars cool down in the tin for about 10 minutes and then continue cooling them down on a cooling rack. Once cooled cut it into bars.
- Melt the chocolate using an au bain marie method and drizzle it on top.
The bananbread brownie bars can be kept in an airtight container for a max of two days. Maybe even longer in the fridge. The thing is, the longer you keep it, the stronger the banana flavour becomes and I don’t really that.
Hope you make these. Would love it if you post them on Instagram and tag me in it (@miek_eats).
Check out this page for more twist recipes.